Effect of drug abuse
Effect of drug abuse , DRUGS are chemicals other than food that is intended to affect the structure or function of the body.
DRUG ABUSE is the intake of drugs without medical or professional advice and direction.
Types of drugs
The most commonly abused drugs are psychoactive drugs– these are drugs that can alter user’s mind, behavior, and mood, they act directly on the central nervous system.
List of Psychoactive drugs: central nervous system (CNS) depressants e.g. alcohol, barbiturates etc., central nervous system (CNS) stimulants e.g. nicotine, ephedrine, etc., hallucinogens e.g. mescaline, ketamine etc., inhalants e.g. adhesive and aerosols, butyl nitrate and amyl nitrate etc., narcotics e.g. heroine, morphine and codeine, marijuana and cannabis products.
SIGNS OF DRUG ABUSE
Moodiness, drowsiness and idleness, carelessness in appearance, disinterest in the opposite sex, loss of weight stealing and prostitution work etc.
Reasons why most young people engage in illicit drugs are; gender, poor self-image, risk-taking/thrill seeking (adventure), peer influence, family background etc.
HOW TO FIGHT AGAINST DRUG ABUSE
- By positive and moral examples of fellow students.
- Speaking forcefully against drug abuse use
- Joining in drug free clubs such as the NDLEA nation wide
- Promoting drug-free lifestyle
- Reporting drug peddlers
ACCIDENT PREVENTION AND FIRST AID
ACCIDENT: is an unplanned or unintentional act or event resulting in injury, death, or damage of property. There are two factors that contribute to accident occurrence, they are unsafe behavior and unsafe environment. Unsafe behavior includes lack of knowledge, immaturity, physical limitation, poor habit and attitudes, temperament and accident proneness. While Unsafe environments include: wrong use of a machine, presence of a machine that presents hazardous situations, erosion, hurricane, and flood etc.
HOW TO PREVENT ACCIDENTS
- Install handrails and non-slip applications in the shower and bathtub
- Keep floors, stairs, and outside areas clear of objects or conditions that could cause slipping or tripping, such as water electrical cords, and toys.
- Always ensure that gas cylinders are turned off when not in use.
- Dispose of all cigarettes in ashtrays and never smoke in bed.
- Keep all medicines and other harmful substances away from children.
- Clear bushes and grasses around the house.
- Use insecticides when there is a presence of insects.
- Obey the speed limit
- Always wear a safety belt
- Wear a seatbelt while on a ride
- Do not play on a busy road
- Watch before u cross the road
- Use proper lifting techniques when lifting objects
- Follow safety instructions
- Always use a life jacket when on a boat
- Ensure proper maintenance of sports equipment and facilities
FIRST AID is the immediate and temporary treatment given in cases of emergency, sudden illness, accidents or injuries before the arrival of a doctor or transportation to a hospital, through the use of first aid box.
written by west ezenwa www.thenigeriafm.com