Ubuntu on WSL Software Engineer at Canonical Nigeria
Ubuntu on WSL Software Engineer at Canonical Nigeria Canonical – We deliver open source to the world faster, more securely, and more cost-effectively than any other company. We develop Ubuntu, the world’s most popular enterprise Linux from cloud to edge, together with a passionate global community of 200,000 contributors. Ubuntu means ‘humanity to others. We chose it because it embodies the generosity at the heart of open source, the new normal for platforms and innovation. Together with a community of 200,000, we publish an operating system that runs from the tiny connected devices up to the world’s biggest mainframes, the platform that everybody uses on the public cloud, and the workstation experience of the world’s most productive developers. Secure and reliable, elegant and intuitive, and open for innovation – Ubuntu is the future of open source, which is why it’s the fastest-growing Linux in the world despite already being the most widely deployed.
- Company: Canonical Nigeria
- Location: Nigeria
- State: Lagos Jobs
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Nigeria
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Ubuntu on WSL Software Engineer
Job type: Full-time
Create next generation cross-platform developer experiences:
- The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) is a new capability in Windows that opens up new possibilities for Linux development and operations in Windows environments. WSL is not a virtual machine system like Hyper-V, nor an operations capability like Docker or Kubernetes, nor a cloud simulator like Multipass.
- Instead, WSL offers a specific set of capabilities from a Linux environment across to the Windows desktop, allowing for interesting new kinds of integration to take place at that boundary. Use your Windows editors and version control, compile and test on Linux, for example.
- We are excited to explore the forefront of these possibilities, helping to shape the future of Windows-and-Linux development. We work closely with the WSL team to ensure that the latest capabilities in WSL are usable and well integrated with Ubuntu. We work with other developer communities, such as those at Nvidia, to ensure that the cross-over of their needs and the Windows platform takes advantage of WSL.
- Canonical is a growing international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu, “the world’s best free software platform”. Our mission is to realise the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are help individuals and businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- You will be responsible for delivering the best Linux experience on WSL to a huge audience. You will have direct influence over the roadmap for Ubuntu on WSL and will specify, architect and develop features in association with other leaders such as tech leads, engineering managers, product managers and developer advocates.
- You will have the opportunity to speak at conferences about your work on WSL, and interact with a very enthusiastic community.
- The successful candidate will be passionate about the future of Ubuntu, mindful of the dynamics of the open source ecosystem, and equally aware of the needs of large organisations. Strong communication and relationship skills are as important as superb technical skills. This job involves international travel several times a year, usually for one week at a time.
As an Ubuntu on WSL Software Engineer you will:
- Implement support for new WSL features in Ubuntu
- Closely follow upstream development in WSL
- Manage Ubuntu WSL applications in the Microsoft Store
- Implement support for Ubuntu features on WSL
- Contribute to upstream projects in support of WSL features
- Define, manage and execute test plans
- Manage Ubuntu Hyper-V images in the Quick Create gallery
- Work with other teams at Canonical to deliver agreed features
- Help the Desktop Team to ensure that Ubuntu is released every 6 months on schedule
- Responding to, and work to resolve, issues raised by end users and customers
The successful Ubuntu on WSL Software Engineer will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in a technical field.
- 1+ years of experience as a software developer in a professional setting.
- A clear passion for the future of Ubuntu on WSL.
- Demonstrable contribution to an open source project.
- C/C++ and Python experience, preferably with an open-source project.
- Awareness of some of the open-source development tools used in creating Ubuntu Desktop, such as git, Launchpad, and Debian packaging tools.
- Capacity to learn quickly about new systems and techniques.
- Excellent logic, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong English language communication skills.
- Comfortable with online communication and collaboration tools such as mailing lists, Mattermost, and wiki.
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
The successful Ubuntu on WSL Software Engineer will ideally also have:
- Experience with Windows Subsystem for Linux, virtualization, and containers.
- Knowledge of PowerShell, Visual Studio, and Azure DevOps.
- Knowledge of some of the technology stack that makes up an Ubuntu desktop (GNOME, D-Bus, systemd, Xorg / Wayland, etc.).
- Be an existing Debian or Ubuntu contributor / developer.
- Awareness of agile development methodologies and tools.
What Canonical offers
- Entirely home-based teams
- Learning and development
- Annual compensation review
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel.
Application Closing Date
On the company’s website, submit your CV and application: To learn more, go to this website
Canonical believes that having a diverse workforce helps us offer world-class software and services to fulfill the world’s computing demands. We are committed to providing all eligible persons with equitable job opportunities.
Without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, handicap, age, or veteran status, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment.