Methods to change institutions departments after your first year

Methods to change institutions departments after your first year  In Nigerian universities, it is possible to change institutions, courses, or departments after your first year.
After completing your 100, 200, or 300 level, you have the option of switching from your present department to your desired course.
I was admitted to a programme many years ago that I had not applied for through the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB). On the basis of the JAMB CAPS, I meant to reject the admission.

READ MORE ON  Why choose Canada as a study destination Studying in Canada Requirements








Methods to change institutions departments after your first year


However, I accepted the admission when I learned that I would be able to transfer to the department of my choosing following my first year of study.


You have a clear idea of how you want to approach a subject, but the university of your choosing places you in a completely different department. You’ve been assigned to a department about which you have no idea what the future holds.
Consider the possibility of applying for Pharmacy and receiving admission to Biochemistry.
That’s how I felt at the moment, to be honest. As a result of not receiving my desired course, I felt like a failure.
It is possible that you will opt to apply for such courses as a result of your poor JAMB and Post UTME results.
However, the good news is that you can complete an intra-university transfer to enroll in the course of your dreams while still at your current university.
The criteria for each university are different, however it is easy to change your course.
In this piece, I’ll demonstrate how you can effectively change your course of study in a Nigerian institution of higher learning.
Please let me know if you have any queries or require any additional support. I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.
After being admitted to a university, changing courses can be a time-consuming and difficult process. There is a great deal of uncertainty around this process. There is no guarantee that your application for a change of department will be approved.
You are aware that other coursemates and students from other departments are also attempting to switch to their dream course at the same time.  Methods to change institutions departments after your first year



Change of department is a competitive process, especially for professional courses such as medicine, law, pharmacy, nursing, mass communication, and so on, which are highly sought for.
Obtaining all of the relevant information is the key to achieving success with your application. You must be one step ahead of your competitors in all aspects of their business.
Following are some phrases that you should be familiar with as you go through this procedure.
Intra-University Transfer is a term that refers to the movement of students within a university.
Intra-university transfer refers to the process of moving from one department or faculty to another inside the same organization.



The following are the two forms of intra-university transfers that are available at Nigerian universities:
Transferring from one department to another within the same faculty is referred to as a change of department.
• Switching from one faculty to another is referred to as a change of faculty.
A good example of inter-faculty transfer is the transition from political science to law school. Inter-faculty transfer can be seen in the transition from Linguistics to Mass Communication in the above example.
Inter-University Transfer is a term that refers to the transfer of students between universities.
An inter-university transfer is the process of transferring from one university to another.
The reality of inter-transfer is that you will be unable to change to a different department in your new school once you have transferred.
You can, for example, switch from Medical Laboratory Science at UNN to UNILAG at the same time. A transfer to another course at UNILAG is not an option for you right now.
In Nigerian universities, there are several requirements for changing courses.
In Nigerian universities, the following are the prerequisites for changing courses:
• O’Level Subject Combination • First Year CGPA • Departmental Requirements • Additional Information
• Courses to be borrowed • Departmental approval
• Submit an application for a change of course.
Subject Combination at the O’Level
The combination of WAEC or NECO O’level subjects is the most important criteria for changing courses at the institution.
To be eligible for a change of course, your O’level result combination must be appropriate for the department where you wish to enroll.
If a student wishes to switch to Nursing after the first year, he or she must have a credit pass in each of the following subjects: English Language; Mathematics; Chemistry; Physics; Biology.
A poor O’level score will significantly reduce your chances of shifting direction. Determine whether your WAEC or NECO results fit the requirements for the course you want to take.
Grade Point Average (CGPA) in the First Year CGPA is an abbreviation for cumulative grade point average. It is calculated as the average of your 100-level performance.
To be considered for a change of course, you must have a high cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of at least 4.5.
Because the process is tough, colleges only accept students who have the highest cumulative grade point average (CGPA).
You must achieve a high level of academic achievement in your first-year results.
A good cumulative grade point average (CGPA) is the first step toward changing the trajectory of your life.
Requirements of the Department
Every department at your school has its own set of requirements for making a course change. Learn more about the requirements for transfer students by visiting their website.
Some departments may have a policy of not accepting transfer students for a specific academic session, which they may have in place.
Some colleges, for example, do not allow students to switch departments within the Nursing department.
Ask pertinent questions in the department where you wish to work if you want to switch jobs. Find a way to meet with the department’s head of department or academic adviser.
Courses Can Be Borrowed
For a change of course application, it is necessary to borrow additional courses that are related to the new course application.
During your first year, you must take the same courses as the department from which you wish to transfer.
For example, if you are a Microbiology student in your first year, you will be required to borrow Parasitology.
Find out about the courses that students in your selected department are offering that are not included in your course outline by contacting them.
Departmental Approval is required.
Transferring to another department necessitates the acquisition of departmental clearance.
Before you can transfer to another course, the head of department of your current department would have to sign you out of the department first.
Learn about the requirements, or what you will require, in order for your transfer application to be a success.
Fill out an application for a change of course.
The application for a change of course is required in order to be considered for a department transfer.
The application for a transfer to a different department is available online.
• Purchase the application form; complete the form; and submit your application online.
• You must submit your document to the university’s registrar’s office.
Alternate to Changing Your University Course of Study
There are a number different options for requesting a change of direction.
I urge that you take these into consideration while submitting your transfer application.
Form JAMB to Purchase


Methods to change institutions departments after your first year

Purchasing the JAMB form is the most cost-effective method of requesting a change of course. It is the most certain method of obtaining your desired course.
JAMB preparations can be done in conjunction with your first-year academic work. It will be less difficult if the courses in your 100 level are close to the subject combinations in your JAMB exam.
However, be certain that your JAMB preparation does not negatively impact your first-year performance.
Fill out an application for Direct Entry.
The application for direct entry is made after you have completed your first degree program.
You may have been unsuccessful with your application for a change of course or with your JAMB exam. It is possible to complete your undergraduate education before applying for direct entry.

Change of Direction at Various Levels
After the 200-level and 300-level exams, you have the option to modify your course.
You would have to go down to 200 level in order to reach 300 level.
Some departments will demote you to 100 level from 200 level if you were working at the 200 level. According to the department’s policy, it is possible to do so.
Please feel free to ask me any questions in the comment box below.
Wishing you the best of luck.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: