job -Nutrition Intern at Save the Children Nigeria Save the Children is the world’s biggest independent organization committed to assisting children in need, with initiatives in more than 120 countries. Save the Children is a registered charity in the United Kingdom. Children’s lives are saved because of our efforts. We’re battling for their legal rights in the courtroom. We work with them to help them reach their greatest potential. In Nigeria, Save the Children is working because one out of every five children under the age of five dies before reaching the age of five in the country. Children in the United States miss school and must work in order to support themselves, and approximately 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related illness, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Canada 2022-2023 Government Scholarships Fully Funded
job -Nutrition Intern at Save the Children Nigeria
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Nutrition Intern
Job ID: 220002PZ
Employee Status: Permanent
Team: Programme Operations
Reports to: Nutrition Specialist
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
Canada 2022-2023 Government Scholarships Fully Funded
- Level 3: The responsibilities of this post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children and young people. In the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3.
- Support the implementation and monitoring of nutrition activities in the ANRIN Project in the following cluster of LGAs in the States:- Orelope, Olorunsogo, Ore-Ire, Ogbomosho-South, Ogbomosho-North, Surulere, Atiba, Irepo, Ogo-Oluwa.
Key Areas of Accountability
- With support from the Nutrition Specialist, ensure target beneficiaries (pregnant women, mothers/caregivers of children less than 24months, children 6 – 59months) access and utilize available nutrition services.
- Engage with community health focal points, community volunteers in cluster LGAs to implement quality nutrition interventions/delivery of nutrition services for the programme, which includes:
- Counselling of mothers/caregivers of children 0-23 months of age on improved behaviors related to maternal, infant and young child feeding, notably early, exclusive and continued breastfeeding, appropriate complementary feeding, and early stimulation.
- Distribution of micronutrient powders per month among children 6-23 months to improve the quality of complementary feeding.
- Iron-folic acid (IFA) supplementation for pregnant women by specifically addressing barriers that inhibit women from taking a full course of IFA tablets during pregnancy through counseling during ante-natal care sessions.
- Intermittent preventive treatment for malaria during ante-natal care by pregnant women.
- Provision of zinc/oral rehydration solution (ORS) for treatment of diarrhea among children 6-59 months of age.
- Provision of vitamin A supplementation among children 6-59 months of age.
- Provision of deworming tablets among children 12-59 months of age.
- Supervise activities of community health focal points, community volunteers in cluster LGAs.
- Work with MEAL team in beneficiary verification and contribute to various project Reports
- Ensure programme approaches and implementation are sensitive to cultural and gender dynamics.
- Provide technical assistance LGA teams and Health Workers on nutrition, with a particular focus on development of effective methodologies to improve health and nutrition knowledge, attitudes and practices.
- Conduct follow up monitoring of nutrition-related activities and document findings to feed into improved programming
- Support strengthening of information flow between State and LGA.
- Contribute to the development and/or adaptation of training materials.
- Facilitate on nutrition trainings in project locations for CHFPs and CVs.
- Develop training plans for Health Workers, CHFPs and CVs based on identified needs.
Documentation and Reporting:
- Ensure timely collection, compilation and analysis of quality data as well as production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding nutrition activities in the Programme.
- Provide technical review of programme reports in line with the M&E framework.
- Work closely with the MEAL team to ensure that data are captured in a correct and accurate manner.
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Represent SCI in relevant LGA level forums for nutrition in coordination with other Partners.
- Contribute to communications and media work as required through correction of data and information and sharing with the Project team.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline (Health/Public Health/Nutrition).
- Demonstrable ability at report writing.
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to be respectful, kind, sensitive and empathise with all beneficiaries and their carers
- Most be Resident in and familiar with the cluster of LGAs (Orelope, Olorunsogo, Ore-Ire, Ogbomosho-South, Ogbomosho-North, Surulere, Atiba, Irepo, Ogo-Oluwa).
- Experience in community based interventions in Western part of Nigeria is an advantage
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Yoruba.
- Computer literate
- Ability to work in partnership with government and development partners
- Good interpersonal skills
- Prepared to live and work in an uncertain security environment
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin and value for money systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Application Closing Date
15th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online