33 killed in Afghan mosque blast Taliban claim
The attack took place in Mazar-e-Sharif province, Afghanistan, on April 21, 2022. On Friday, April 22, 2022, a lethal Islamic State offshoot claimed responsibility for a series of explosions that had taken place the day before that targeted Afghanistan’s minority Shiite Muslims, while Pakistan issued a warning about IS threats in the country’s eastern Punjab region.
KABUL, Afghanistan (Thenigeriafm) — Afghan President Hamid Karzai has declared a state of emergency in the capital. On Friday, a suicide explosion at a mosque and religious school in northern Afghanistan killed at least 33 people, including kids from a nearby religious school, according to a Taliban official.
READ ALSO ABOUT American citizen executed in China for murder
According to Zabihullah Mujahid, the Taliban’s deputy culture and information minister, the bombing in the town of Imam Saheb, in Kunduz Province, also injured another 43 persons, many of whom were students, in addition to the victims of the original attack.
The Islamic State group in Afghanistan claimed responsibility for a series of bombs that took place the day before, the worst of which was an attack on a Shiite mosque in northern Mazar-e-Sharif that killed at least 12 Shiite Muslim worshippers and injured dozens more.
Earlier, a spokesman for the Kunduz province police said that two people had died and six others had been injured at the Malawi Bashir Ahmad Mosque and Madrassa compound in Imam Saheb. The increased casualty statistics were later tweeted by Mujahid who wrote, “we condemn this atrocity… and send our sincere condolences to the victims.”
The bombing on Friday is the latest in a slew of horrific incidents that have taken place across Afghanistan. The perpetrators of the Kunduz incident were referred to as “seditionists and wicked individuals” by Mujahid.
The attack was described as “horrific” by the United Nations. According to Ramiz Alakbarov, the deputy special representative for Afghanistan, “killings must stop immediately and those responsible brought to justice.”
33 killed in Afghan mosque blast, Taliban claim
Afghanistan’s religiously motivated government has faced an insurmountable security challenge since the Taliban swept to power in August, when they battled an upstart Islamic State affiliate known as the Islamic State in Khorasan Province, or IS-K. IS-K has proven to be an intractable security challenge for Afghanistan’s religiously driven government since its inception in 2014.
It was also in northern Kunduz province last October that the Islamic State claimed responsibility for a terrible attack that killed at least 50 people and wounded more than 100 more in a Shiite mosque. As part of a comprehensive attack on suspected IS-K hideouts in eastern Nangarhar province, where the deadly affiliate is headquartered in November, the Taliban’s intelligence unit carried out a series of raids.
The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (IS-K) claimed responsibility for the attack on Mazar-e-Sai Sharif’s Doken mosque, saying the explosive device was hidden in a bag left inside by a group of worshipers. It burst as they were knelt in prayer.
“The explosives were detonated remotely when the mosque was packed with worshippers,” the Islamic State said in a statement, adding that 100 people were injured.
A former IS-K leader has been detained by the Taliban in northern Balkh province, whose capital is Mazar-e-Sharif, according to the group. In Balkh province, Abdul Hamid Sangaryar, the head of the communication and cultural department, confirmed that he had been detained in connection with the mosque attack on Thursday.